<VV> Early Late Axles

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Wed Sep 13 22:51:19 EDT 2006

From: "airvair"
> Unfortunately, yes. It takes a bit more time to saw thru an early model
> shaft, as it's just a solid rod. In other words, it was (unnecessarily)
> a lot heavier than it needed to be to do it's intended job.
> -Mark
  Smitty says: yeah Mark you should have asked me before you made your post.  I could have explained to you that the Lates rely on the larger diameter to carry the torque loads and unlike the Earlies (as Shaun explained) they don't have to contend with carrying the weight of the body as well as being exposed to bending loads.  To serve their purpose (as apples) I think the Earlies were designed about right for the job.  Just like your Lates (the oranges) were designed about right for their job.  I'll be here if you need anything else explained to you.  gg