<VV> Bad Break Problem fixed - corvair connection maybe

grant young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 15 20:11:01 EDT 2006

A long time ago I asked for input to a problem with my ford exploder
brakes. It would dive sharply to the left under other than very careful,
slow braking. This was shortly after a 4 wheel brake job, including new
calipers. I was advised to change the brake hoses as they sometimes soften
and close slightly. I did and the problem was better, but still there. I
lived with it for almost a year...until last weekend....I had a slow leak
in my right rear tire and just before putting it back on, I decided to pull
the brake drum to see how the rear brakes were holding up. When I did, I
noticed that the top half of the trailing shoe was gone! The drum was full
of crud and the paint blistered on the shoes. I had checked the other side
once already, but seeing nice shoes didn't bother with this side. After
installing new shoes and wheel cylinders the problem simply went away :-).
I had to replace the cylinder on the bad side as it had been past it's
limit due to the missing material and had rusted/leaked. So, I guess the
moral is still there.... check everything... twice. FWIW, I purchased NEW
shoes this time instead of rebuilds (for $29 and no core).
The Carb(brake)meister