<VV> RE: Replacing a Throttle plate

grant young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 16 07:39:03 EDT 2006

The H and HV throttle plates are marked on the side that faces the engine.
So, if you can't see some numbers ("10") when you install it, it's upside
down. On 90% of the plates, the two alignment nipples (which keep you from
installing it backwards) face the bottom of the carb, but some are
reversed, so it's not a fool proof method. And, of course, you want to
align the chip in the plate with the fuel slot in the carbs that have them.
Of the 5000 or so that I have replaced, ALL had the numbers on the bottom.
A couple of clicks with a good center punch will give you enough expansion
of the tip to provide resistance for the screw working its way out, but I
also use blue Loctite on all of them.

As an aside, I have switched to the Holley-type brass alloy screws for the
throttle and choke plates. They are the same size, but have a Phillips head
and can be installed with a magnetized screw driver - which is a godsend
for anyone with large, slightly arthritic fingers :-). They are also
stronger, so you don't have to worry so much about them breaking when
removed.

<<Be careful how you put the plate back in.Some of them are beveled and if
installed upside down, you could have realproblems. Might want to mark the
plate with a sharpie before you take it
out. Also, supposed to peen over the small screws that hold the plate
in,but I haven't figured out how to do that.>>