Stolen cars, was: <VV> Re: secret serial number - others ?

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Sat Sep 16 15:39:25 EDT 2006

Back in '81 my '79 Suburban was stolen, VIN #CCS269F178946, and was
driven to southern California. It was a 3/4 ton 454 in light tan with a
woodgrain "Estate" trim, luggage rack, and buckets. Even the title was
stolen from my house!

I had converted the exhaust to a true dual system by removing the
catalytic muffler and replacing the asymmetrical crossmember with an
earlier design symmetrical one, so if anyone had tried to put a cat back
on it, they'd have trouble. LOL

Hope the SOB that ended up with it had grief because of that
crossmember. 'Specially in SoCal. (G)

Unfortunately, services like Carfax won't recognize anything but the
now-standard 17 digit serial numbers.

-Mark