<VV> Oil leak diagnosis - cooler adapter?

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 17 22:27:17 EDT 2006

I've been chasing an oil leak on my daughter's Spyder. Park it and it drips from the bottom of the nut catcher and LH lower shroud. Fairly fast "nuisance" leak, probably a few drops an hour.

  There are no puddles inside the shroud. I see oil forming in the crack between the left hand side of the nutcatcher and the LH lower shroud. Once it collects enough oil, it disappears and reappears as a drop on the bottom of the nutcatcher or shroud.

  It was still dripping (formed about 3-4 drops while I was replacing the LH thermostat) today even though it had not been started since yesterday.

  A few weeks ago I replaced the oil cooler seals since that was the only thing I thought of that would leak in the observed location. The only other thing that makes sense is the oil cooler adapter gasket.

  Does anyone have some other ideas or something I haven't tried to isolate the source?

  Thanks!

-- Doug Mackintosh
  Corsa member since 1996
  Corsa/NC member since 1996,  Virtual Vairs member
  Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on