<VV> antiseize on plugs.

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Mon Sep 18 12:34:00 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger Gault" <r.gault at sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: <VV> antiseize on plugs.

> The reason the factories don't recommend antiseize on spark plugs in
> aluminum engines is that lubricating the spark plug threads reduces the
> thread coefficient of friction to about half the dry case.  >

Works the same good/bad way on the competition rifles we build ... you
easily go past the barrel alignment marks using moly neverseize.  Better to
use a drop of blue locktite and align to the gauge marks.

> Now, as to the other supposed reasons to not use antiseize, poor heat
> conduction and poor grounding, they don't pass the goofy test.
> Roger

*********
As a guess, since Molybdenum  is a metal itself, the moly filled versions of
never-seize probably conduct a fair amount of heat.  haven[t tested for
this, tho...

One reason Moly di sulfide is used is because it is very nuetral in itself
... I have heard of the suggestion that the " ---sulfide"  part being a
cause of corrosion ( sulfuric acid product in some cases ??? ) however I
have never witnessed this either, in using moly for 40 years.

BTW, moly is an extremely good " tapping fluid".... because it helps the
tapping chips clear the tap body... which is what galls, seizes, and breaks
taps. ( and other cutters ) .... MolyDee is one brand name available from
MSC etc. in a squirt can, in a light oil.

just some trivia... ken campbell, deltawerkes