<VV> Fuel delivery problem - long

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 18 22:38:13 EDT 2006

Some time back I posted asking for ideas about the fuel starvation problem on my daughter's Spyder. I think I forgot to thank everyone, but I do appreciate all the ideas.

  I've gone through the fuel system from one end to the other and checked for everything suggested, including whether the fuel pump valves were properly staked (they were). I blew out the hard line under the car. I replaced all the hoses (although I don't think any were restricted and most had been replaced fairly recently).

  The only things I found that would explain the starvation were a dirty fuel filter (the one under the car was probably 40% restricted) and the fuel pump retainer recess. The recess which the lock bolt goes into should be cone-shaped and blind. This one had been wallowed out oval, and the bottom of the hole was broken through. It appeared that the lock bolt was poking through and probably contacting the pump shaft. The wallowed-out recess also allowed the pump to rock while it operated. I suspect the pump shaft was actually immobilized on occasion due to friction against the retaining bolt contacting it, possibly depending on which way the pump had wobbled. I swapped the bottom part of the pump out for a better one from another pump to make a good pump.

  Since the problem was intermittant, I can't guarantee it is gone, but I think it is. If I learn otherwise, I'll post that.

  Thanks for the suggestions!

-- Doug Mackintosh
  Corsa member since 1996
  Corsa/NC member since 1996,  Virtual Vairs member
  Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on