<VV> Kelsey-Hayes Wheels

Rick Loving ral1963 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 18 23:28:00 EDT 2006

I had a set on my 63 vert and at one time did a little research on them.

As the story goes GM contracted Kelsey Hayes to make 2000 rims.  This
would equal out to about 400 sets of 5 (4 and a spare)

Due to the option cost being so expensive compared to the cost of the
whole car, few sets were sold.  I suppose there were not a lot of good
references for them by other owners and it wouldn't surprise me if
salespeople steered people away also.  They required a tube, needed to
be checked frequently as the spinners would loosen up, and were hard to
clean.

It was a around a $300 dollar option on a $3000 dollar car, so it was a
major investment.

Rick Loving
<SNIP>
In a message dated 9/18/2006 7:45:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
john at nfdc.net
writes:

> Does anyone know how many Kelsey -Hayes wheels were produced for the
13"-4
> lug early Corvairs?  Also, were they a $300.00 option as I have heard?
> have a set of 4 with spinners plus an extra wheel w/o the hub and
spinner.  I
> just want to know how rare an option I have.

Let's put it this way....almost every meet I go to I see a 65-6 Corsa
Turbo
vert..supposedly real rare......

I've only seen a few dozen real K-H  wires in 40 yrs......why they go
for
$2000+

Matt Nall