<VV> Kelsey-Hayes Wheels

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Tue Sep 19 08:40:21 EDT 2006

At the time, the K-H wires were the most expensive option available,
even surpassing a/c in price. Add a set to a Spyder or a/c car and you
could probably have bought a Corvette instead.

Also, as is pointed out, they require tubes, correct maintenance, and
add unsprung weight like crazy, and it all adds up to gross
impracticability. Which is why they didn't sell very many sets, despite
their dynamite looks.

At the time, we in Friends of Corvair (Don Schneider's local club)
kidded him about how he was trying to corner the market, as he managed
to collect 10 full sets, most of them of show quality. At least half of
the sets went onto various show cars that he built, and he even modified
one or two sets of adapters for 5 lug use on lates, before concluding
that it was better to convert the late hubs over to 4 studs. He even
found that '65-6 horn button inserts could be used as centers in the
knock-off nuts, and modified about two sets with Corsa inserts for use
on Corsa show cars.

Which is about the only thing K-H wires are good for - show cars.

BTW, over the years, I've seen any number of pieces and partial sets for
sale in swap meets. I always thought that if someone with deep pockets
were to buy up all the partial sets, they could assemble who knows how
many more full sets. And/or offer replacement parts for those already
out there. And no, I don't have deep enough pockets for such a venture.
It's just my idle thinking....

-Mark