<VV> In the interest of safety

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Tue Sep 19 11:33:27 EDT 2006

Smitty Says:  I will relate my fire building episode to get people thinking outside of the box when it comes to gasoline and fire.  Paul had drained stale gas out of his motorbikes to freshen them up.  When I told him I was going to light the bonfire (a 20 ft pile of brush and construction debris) he suggested using the 3 lb coffe can of gas to expedite ignition.  No problem.  So after I dumped the major part of it in the pile I trickled a trail of it about 20 ft out to act as a fuse.  If all had gone as planned I would have been well away before the fuse fire got to the pile.  What happened though was the heavy gas fumes had time to creep out from the pile and into the surrounding grass.  When I lit the "fuse" the fumes had already gone past me.  Luckly I was already turning away from the fire as it exploded.  Got no hair on my left arm and got a sunburn from it.
  The point being that just cause you put the gass in one place doesn't mean it is going to stay there.   Point two is, Gasoline is a good motor fuel.