<VV> fried pertronix.

Barry Gershenfeld mailist at san.rr.com
Tue Sep 19 12:14:12 EDT 2006

>i got the wire which runs to the coil pinched under the lip of the dist
>cap. when i tried to start the car, there was smoke everywhere. i had
>fried the enire engine compartment wiring harness, mainly the resistor
>wire. burnt right up to the starter. i ended up replacing the harness, and
>going back to points in order to get the car running. now the car's
>running great except for a slight skip at idle. so rather than get a new
>breaker plate, i figured i'd try the ignitor again. (making sure no wires
>are pinched) My quesion is, did i fry the ignitor 2? how do i tell without
>actually installing it?
>Paul Abel

>Yum, tasty! Does that come with the 'burger & malt?
>
>-Mark

I'd like to propose a courtesy rule that there be no humor until after the
question is addressed.  (Yeah, right, lots of luck...)

It sounds like you grounded the power before it got to the ignitor.  You
deprived it of all power (burning the harness in the process) but I think
you'll find your ignitor is OK.    I would guess you could test it by
taking off the distributor cap and turning the crank until the points are
open.  Then wire the ignitor in parallel, turn the key on, and hold the
round magnet against the hall sensor and rotate the magnet.  You should be
able to hear a clicking sound as the circuit is closed and opened and the
spark happens.  You can do better with voltmeters and so on, but this would
be good enough if you can hear the spark (or the coil windings).

Barry