<VV> Re: Tire rotation and tire life

grant young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 19 17:02:45 EDT 2006

This might have already been posted (been busy, so apologies if so). But, I
just read about a study of tire life which determined that tires that are
more than 6 years old should at least be carefully inspected and probably
replaced, regardless of the tread life. This was counter to the previous
range of 8-10 years. This is especially a concern for tires like some of
the Michelins and others that can go 80K+ and last 10-15 years or more. I
have some Pirelli P-7's that must be 20 years old (but with only about 2K
on them) that will be replaced as a result. I believe the study was done in
Europe.

As a non-Corvair aside, I just received another letter from
Firestone/Bridgestone today asking that I take my '93 Exploder in to have
the original spare (the blow-up-and-flip-over style) replaced free of
charge. Guess they found out that a lot of shops did not replace the spares
when they had the recall. So if you have one, you might want to check in
case you have a flat some day.
FWIW
Grant Young