<VV> regulator/alternator check

Andy Clark slowboat at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 19 19:45:41 EDT 2006

Mike, the regulator fires the red light if the alternator output drops below
about 10V (if I remember that number correctly). It's more than likely to be
the alternator from the symptoms you describe. Put the volt meter on the
output terminal of the alternator. It should be putting out somewhere around
14.2V right after starting the engine, if it's in good shape. The regulator
is what reduces this voltage to whatever is needed to produce the charge
current that the battery requires.
Andy Clark
1966 140/4 Monza Sedan
1966 140/4 Yenko Clone