<VV> Where do I start - 63 monza stalling

Chris C, Warwick RI ricorvair at cox.net
Wed Sep 20 18:31:14 EDT 2006

My wifes monza ran great all summer.  Then one day I washed it would not start.

2 days later when it had dried off I cleaned the points. (didn't even take
them out).  It would run, but would die if it wasnt under load.

Drove it like that for a couple weeks, until the fun of restarting wore off
(it stopped always re-starting).

Re-gapped the points, to 31 degree dwell (goes down sharply when I rev
it).  Timing square in the middle of the dial with the va removed.  Put it
on and it races off the chart with it out of gear, dies when  put it in
gear.  If I manually open and close the points, its not a very healthy
looking spark.

Backed the carbs off 1 turn each (had been well synced before all this
happend).

Warm it did not want to restart easily.

Checked the carbs.  Passenger side, gas steam, 12 pack squirt.  Drivers
side, less fumes, wimpy squirt.

I think my first order of business is to put in new points.   Cap, wires,
points, changed a couple years ago.  Thinking the points plate may be bad also.

Was going to:
	1 replace points, and see if I can get a healthier spark.
	2 swap out the coil for a known good one (from my car).
	3  replace points plate (when it comes in)
	4 replace condenser
	5  rebuild, or get a set of grant rebuilt carbs

The car is about to go away for the winter, so for now I just want to be
able to have it move under its own power.

Thanks to all.