<VV> Re: Timing, Distributor, Carbs, Vacuum Problems???

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Sep 20 19:21:17 EDT 2006

Comments inserted below:

LastHamlet wrote:

> Only one other fellow was
>allowed to work on her, when I first got her. This
>place was not familiar with Corvair's at all, and I
>ended up with a Pitman arm bushing pressed in upside
>down(How he did it I will never know),

The pitman bushing is not tapered, so if one is not paying attention, it
can be installed upside down. No, I haven't done this bohunk move.      Yet!

>and a smashed
>gas tank from inproper jacking.

As much as I defended mechanics trying to make a living on the earlier
thread of spark plugs, this act would be cause for getting the shop to
pay the repairs, as it is just carelessness.

>Wait, there is more!!!
>Rounded out my new camber washers on the front and
>rear, trying to aline the vehicle, without jacking it
>up. And, here was the part that steamed me... My
>rear-end was leaking worse than before, but now it was
>leaking RED FLUID.... Oh yes he did put tranny fluid
>in my rea-end differential.

So this guy only worked on new vehicles? Many front wheel drive vehicles
run ATF in the differential now. But a real mechanic checks the "book"
for proper lubricants. Even more important on the new vehicles.

>I am still headed
>to Shepard's this week, cause I feel out of my league.

Come back here for more inspiration and stories of how we did it wrong
also. Lots of learning by mistakes here to add to your education.

Frank DuVal