<VV> Late Model AM radio removal

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu Sep 21 11:13:27 EDT 2006

In a message dated 9/21/2006 4:13:06 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
pbob63 at frontiernet.net writes:

How do I  remove the stock radio from my 65 monza? Does it come out from
the front,  or back? Looks like I need to remove the defroster duct to
get it out from  the rear, is this correct? Or, does it come out the
front after the knobs  and bezel are removed? I need to remove the bad
speaker from the  dash.

Paul - My actual procedure is to drop the duct work down first, as  described
by others. Then remove the ashtray and the metal receptacle it slides  in. A
couple of screws from the bottom of the dash and a single "L" bracket that
attaches the top of it to the bottom of the radio. Watch out here, it is easy to
 cut yourself! Then disconnect all the wiring from the radio. The power and
the  speaker are usually in one flat plug. And don't forget the antenna! Then
pull  the knobs off and, using a deep socket (5/8", I think) start removing the
 nuts on the two shafts. The Chrome radio bezel will come off the front and
the  radio will start to sag backwards. It will drop down in the rear. Just
pull the  radio back, rotate it vertical and lower it down and drop it out the
back. The  speaker is held in with a bracket which just pushes up on the magnet
in the  middle of the speaker. This arrangement is what makes it so hard to
install a  larger replacement speaker in the same location. The above works fine
for either  of the AM radios, manual or push-button. If you have an AM-FM or
worse, an AM-FM  and Air conditioning - you will need the dexterity of a heart
surgeon, and  some band-aids.  - Seth Emerson