<VV> Re: cowl shimmy shake

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Fri Sep 22 22:33:50 EDT 2006

Vibration you can see but not hear (seat back shake, cowl shake, etc) is down around wheel rotating speed, so is caused by something the wheel/tire is doing.  Probably unbalance, or runout, or less frequently these days, tire "hard" spots.

I'd jack up my front end and spin the tire slowly with a pointer near the tire tread.  Much more than 1/8 inch runout can cause problems. Less is better.  Sometimes the runout is the tire, sometimes the wheel, and sometimes both, so repositioning the tire on the wheel can sometimes make it better.  Balancing does not fix runout.

Are your wheels OEM, or some after market jobs?  Is the wheel pilot snug on the hub?  Generally the studs can't be counted on to center the wheel.  An offcenter wheel has runout AND unbalance.

I'd probably swap the front wheels to the rear to see what happens.

--
Dan Timberlake

Message: 3