<VV> Re: Car Show Judging

Gary Swiatowy mopar at jbcs2.net
Mon Sep 25 17:13:34 EDT 2006

I've been involved with shows both as a participant and a promoter.
Yes, I was a participant in concours in Buffalo, and was thrilled to
maintain my "Bronze" status. Nothing wrong with winning, and nothing wrong
with a competitive spirit.
But..................as both a participant and promotor I have seen the bad
in people. I have seen ballot boxes stuffed, I have seen the vote for your
buddy system, I also once watched a guy smash his second place award on the
ground because he was PO'd he didn't get first. I have seen a guy spin his
tires in the grass throwing up mud and stones as he tried to leave because
he was upset he didn't win. I next watched that guy dragged from his car and
beaten.......fairly well while his girfriend screamed and cried. Yeah, it
can get ugly.
I know people, who are trophy hunters and will nit-pick a car show to pieces
on the internet, failing to realize that most people running small shows do
not have a clue and are running them and learning as they go............

And as a promotor, I have had people get in my face complaining about their
class, or another car that is in their class, or some silly thing I really
do not have much control over. And I have under extreme circumstances, told
people to leave, and sometimes in not very kind terms. threatening if
needed, damage to their cars, or having them towed and them arrested for
trespassing. Poor public realations..........sure! Sometimes it is needed.
If I ever caught someone, cheating, or doing something in bad faith, it
would not take much to black ball them from future shows, or let everyone
else know what they did.

Gary Swiatowy

 Car Show Judging (Mike Jacobi)