<VV> hub caps dagnabbit

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Sep 25 19:40:12 EDT 2006

Bob,

You beat me to it, that full wheel size trim parts on a wheel are not
"hub caps", but "wheel covers".

However I call the smaller trim parts that fit over the lug nut area
"hub caps". Some even use the name "dog dish hub caps" or "baby moon hub
caps" if of the smooth rounded (convex) variety.

I call the cover at the end of the axle a "grease cap". But I do
acknowledge the term "hub cap" came from the decorative covers on the
end of the axle back in the early days of carriages and cars. See what a
Model T uses as a hub cap, it doubles as the grease cap. Another
phoobonics term for this part is "dust cap".

Frank DuVal