<VV> Both Kinds of Music and a Greenbrier Sighting on the Net

Secular rusecular at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 25 20:02:58 EDT 2006

  "southern Appalachian resident," c.1900, from hill + masc. proper name Billy/Billie. As a type of folk music, first attested 1924.
    "In short, a Hill-Billie is a free and untrammeled white citizen of Alabama, who lives in the hills, has no means to speak of, dresses as he can, talks as he pleases, drinks whiskey when he gets it, and fires of his revolver as the fancy takes him." ["New York Journal," April 23, 1900]

  source:

  etymology online :)

  http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=hillbilly&searchmode=none

  Regards,