<VV> NEW TEXAS SALES TAX ON USED CARS

Tim Verthein minoxphotographer at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 26 19:49:41 EDT 2006

Here in good ol' Minnesota we've had sales tax on used cars for as long
as I can remember.
However, cars over ten years can pay an "alternative minimum tax"
which, I believe is $10. So, depending on if you got the car for a
hundred bucks, or whatever, you can pay the lower.  e.g. if you buy an
11 year old car for $2000, you can opt to not tell them and pay the $10
tax instead of $130.

However..this changes if you have an "old" or collector car.  Ryan
bought a 1949 Chevy a few years ago, for $1500.  Since the original
owners he bought it from had long since lost the title, he had to
app[ly for a new one, which required photos of the car.  So they could
send them in and have the State determine it's value.  Suddenly he had
a $5000 car that wouldn't even run, had no brakes, minimal wiring left
in it, and disentegrating tires.  What a friggin' scam that is.  And of
course, it's kind of up to the counter person to decide if you have a
car that needs to be evaluated.  Luckily, here in small town USA, the
clerk has been the same lady since I've lived here, and she knows the
family pretty well, what with all our cars between me, the wife, 4
kids, and all the extra toy cars, so she works with us, but she hadda
hit him on the Chevy cause they had to have pictures and she sahd it'd
never go thru at the lower price. He paid minimum tax on both his
'Vairs, as did I.

Tim in Bovey

===
You *can* repair a flip-flop with a capacitor!
===