<VV> any tips on rear crank seal?

rbkj84 at comcast.net rbkj84 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 2 21:42:28 EDT 2007

Thanks to those of you who responded to my question on possibly sealing the oil
pump idler shaft that is pressed into the rear casting.

I am ready to R and R the rear main crank seal.  Is there anything special to know?
There is a mention in the Tech Manual to put some grease into the lips of the
seal.  Is this good practice, necessary, not good?  Grease anywhere else? Any
other advice?  How hard is it to tap into place?  Use a small block of wood and
a small hammer to set it?  This is a new process for me.

Also, the harmonic balancer that I took off has a very small worn groove on the
outside of the 'nose' that goes in around the end of the crank.  I presume that
this is where the seal sat up against it.  Is this a problem or normal wear?

Many thanks.  Want to do this job just once!

By the way, the special tool to get the balancer off without dropping the rear
of the engine worked PERFECTLY!  The only way to go!

Regards
Ron
65 Corsa 140 Coupe
64 Spyder Coupe
91 Reatta Coupe
1965 FFR Shelby Cobra 427FE SO aluminum block, Mass-Flo (in the future!!)