<VV> Body Language (cars in general)

Arjay Morgan n3lkz at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 1 21:41:08 EDT 2007

Periodically I notice discussions on Virtual Vairs about things like "backlight" vs "rear window" or what the proper terminology is for bumper guards. At last, the venerable New York Times has come to our rescue with an article about car "design language" Here are the first three graphs and a link to the rest of the article for our mutual edification.
Arjay Morgan
64 Monza
NEVER say dashboard, not if you want people at the auto show to think you know what you are talking about. Say I.P., for instrument panel, as designers do.
    Dropping in a mention of the greenhouse or the beltline is pretty easy, but you will really get points with casual references to A-, B-, and C-pillars, the order of the roof supports arranged from the windshield, whose base is called the cowl, to the rear window, or backlight. You might say, “That fat C-pillar would make it impossible to parallel park.”
Every profession has its lingo. A list of common terms — and a few of the most colorful ones — can come in handy. With cars, words and metal share territory: each brand’s vocabulary of shapes is collectively known as its design language.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/01/automobiles/01DESIGN.html