<VV> Disassembly of late model 4-speed shifter base

WSan159401 at aol.com WSan159401 at aol.com
Tue Apr 3 00:59:26 EDT 2007

I am attempting to clean all the old hard grease out of my shifter and am
having some difficulty. The shop manual says to use tool J-.... which I don't
have, or a length of 1.5" pipe, bought at local hardware store. The pipe fits
perfectly but it takes quite a lot of preassure to feel any movement against the
spring. When the spring is compressed I can't figure out how to rotate the
locking piece that keeps it all together. If I am successful will the whole thing
blow up through the pipe. Has anyone done this procedure?
Bill Sanders