<VV> Vert on e-Bay

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue Apr 3 21:37:23 EDT 2007

At 06:28 AM 4/3/2007, Jim Houston wrote:
>I just looked at the ad, and checked seller's other listings and
>discovered that ALL of the seller's items (lots of "classic" cars)
>have been removed by PayPal.(including the Corvair in question) . . .

Once again a "seller" (usually with a hijacked Ebay account) posts
various photos of someone else's car with stipulations in the
description, usually to e-mail him FIRST before bidding whereupon he
offers the car to you, cheap, for money up front.   Smoking deal,
with a deposit to "hold" the vehicle sent via bank draft or funds
transfer etc. until you can show up to take possession.   That's the
last you ever hear of the guy or the car or anything else... and by
the time you contact the *real* owner of the Ebay account to
complain, the hijacker is long gone with your money and about a dozen
or so other people's money as well, leaving nothing but a closed
account behind him.

Why do you suppose there are all those bogus "Please resubmit your
logon information or your account may be suspended" etc ad nauseam
Ebay e-mails floating in and out of everyone's IN box anymore...?

Next time you see a batch of cars advertised for sale like that,
cheap... too cheap... look at the seller's other auction
items.    Usually dinner ware, wicker furniture, baseball cards,
knitted sock puppets, dinner dresses, fuzzy bedroom slippers,
whatever... it's never cars or associated items.    It's usually
stuff sold on EBay by little old ladies or hobbyists/collectors who
are trusting people that never would think that anyone would wanna
steal their EBay account.

>something strange there as well.  It looks like the guy just posts
>ads with pictures for kicks.

Hardly.   He expects to collect bucks.   Especially telling is the
old excuse that something is wrong with the posted seller's e-mail
account (which still links to the original account owner's personal
e-mail) so a prospective buyer is NOT to e-mail that address, instead
he must e-mail the seller via a "throwaway" web mail address usually
at Hotmail or Yahoo etc.  which can be acquired and set up
anonymously with no way to trace who actually set it up.

>I wouldn't think that anybody could have that big a collection of
>old cars and be selling for the prices he has listed...  quien sabe?

Oh, the cars exist...  they're not his, however, and they likely
could be found the previous month on Ebay in someone else's
auction.    It's the same old story about if it seems too good to be
true...  ;)

A few months ago, somebody was selling a mint condition '70 Barracuda
convertible with the 440 6-Pak engine option for 6500 bucks if you
used the "buy it now" option.    A click on the seller's other items
included, among about 9 different cars, a Cougar Eliminator and a
Shelby Mustang GT-500, each also with a buy-it-now price of 6500
bucks...  IF you contacted him via e-mail to arrange the sale and
discuss "details".

Oh boy what a bargain.

I'm all the time getting bogus Ebay "questions" from "buyers" and
"sellers" who want to know why I've not sent them their item... or
they wanna buy something I have listed...  never sold anything on
Ebay, always been exclusively a buyer...  and of course the fake Ebay
letterhead has a link to click to "logon" to what you think is your
Ebay account.

My e-mail handler picks up these bogus links and flashes an alert
even if I DON'T spot the bogus link first.

I like to go "logon" to these links and include a user "name" and
"password" that signifies my opinion of them...  about a dozen or so
times.

Then I go to an Ebay link and e-mail the details to them.

tony..