<VV> New Wiring Harness Woes

Phil philandcaroll at worldnet.att.net
Thu Apr 5 22:23:40 EDT 2007

Has anyone had problems with a new reproduction wiring harness? I finally
got a new dash wiring harness installed in Max, my 64 Spyder. I bought it a
few years ago, and what can I say, this stuff takes a while sometimes.
Anyway, after it was installed, several things went astray. First I noticed
the wipers wouldn't work. Blew fuses constantly, swapped the motor, even
bought a new motor, same thing. Finally got straightened out by someone
smart enough to wire the thing on the fly instead of by the diagram.

Next was the gas gauge, which is now pegged on empty (the needle twitches to
empty when the key is turned to start.) This is with a new sending unit and
wiring, cleaned and sealed tank, new dash harness, and the gauge always
worked before.

This week I finally got my headlight buckets rebuilt, and now after
installing all new bulbs, the turn signals don't work right. My car is now
more unique than ever, but this time in a weird way. When I turn on the left
turn signal, I get blinking on the right front and left rear of the car (the
right indicator light on the dash also.)

I'm no electrical genius, but isn't this stuff supposed to only connect one
way? Is it possible that I have hooked something up wrong, or did I get
unlucky with the harness?

I'm working hard on taking Max to Helen in a couple of weeks, and I don't
mind not having a gas gauge, but since the odometer also quit working, it
will add to the fun!

Phil Hartline

Max, '64 Spyder Convertible