<VV> Rusty suspension bolt cages...

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 12 17:39:24 EDT 2007

 Cheaper and better to fabricate a bent box end wrench to hold the new cage nut. Probably some of the cage is still there. How did you hold the nut while turning the bolt if the nut tore the cage?

   I had made a bent heavy rod to wedge between the nut and the cage to prevent the nut from starting to turn. It always got mine to loosen without destroying the cage(s). Cutting the head of the bolt off to remove the suspension is tough. Others cut an appropriate hole in the trunk to get to the cage nut. Weld it back later.

Jason Morris <neosore at gmail.com> wrote:
  While removing the front suspension on my '65, I discovered that a couple of
the bolt cages (on top of the frame) were so rusted that when turning the
bolt, the square nut tore right through the cage. So my question is, do I
have to fab new bolt cages or can I just weld the bolts in place on top of
the frame?

Thanks,

Jason Morris
'65 4dr Monza