<VV> Novas and Vairs

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Thu Apr 12 18:52:48 EDT 2007

>------------------------------
 <SNIP>
Had the "conventional" cars been REAR
engine/FRONT drive, the public would KNOW just how bad an idea front
drive really is.
 <snip>
Give me a Corvair any day!

-Mark C

I don't think front wheel drive is a bad idea at all - at least not front engine/front wheel drive.  It's not optimal for handling but it is VERY forgiving.  I learned to drive in a FWD VW Rabbit and I got that thing more than sideways and it always came right back.  Even if you braked in the turn, it would correct itself when you let it.  The understeer could bite you if you came in too hot into a curve because you probably never going to get the car to go around but you could just keep turning the wheel without worrying about the back end coming around to the front.  Corvairs are great and more fun to drive than my Rabbit but once you break the rear end loose you've got very little time to fix your problem, on FWD you've got all day.   AND it puts the engine over the driving wheels so you've got that.  You run the risk of maxing out the traction of the front tires with turning, braking and accelerating all going through them but I never had that problem with the Rabbit and its skinny 155-70-13 tires.  So there you go.

Having said all that, I'm sure the main reason front engine/FWD came about was strictly packaging - especially for small cars.