<VV> Nova and Vair

Gary & Susan Lowell sglowell10 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 12 21:58:16 EDT 2007

After buying a new 65 Corsa Convertible and then a used 65 Corsa
Coupe when the convertible got totaled in an accident, my college
graduation present to myself was a 69 Nova SS w/ 396CuIn 350 4 speed
with every option but AC and an AM/FM radio. It handled like a brick
- a very quick brick - but still a brick. The 69 lasted well over
100,000 miles before finding a tree beside the road one rainy night.
IMHO the  Corvairs had it all over the Nova for just plane fun and
enjoyment. When the Nova bit the dust I got a 64 FC Corvair keeping
it until It bought the farm. The Nova was the last GM car that I
bought. I remember thinking to myself (much like Ronald Reagan did
when he was asked why he abandoned the Democratic Party; "I didn't
abandon them, they abandoned me!") that GM walked away from me, why
should I patronize them. Nothing from GM since has stirred my blood,
turned my head or appealed to my sense of a good investment.
Thinking about it, I can almost trace GM's current status and
marketplace problems back to their origin - the decision to stop
development of the Corvair just as it was getting good (Fiero
anyone?) and not take it to the next level.
Gary Lowell
Detroit
65 Corsa Convertible