<VV>Used to be Novas and Vairs

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Fri Apr 13 08:57:24 EDT 2007

> > Having said all that, I'm sure the main reason front engine/FWD came
> about was strictly packaging - especially for small cars.

Basically legs take less room than luggage. It helps from a manufacturing
standpoint also - like the Corvair, you just have a power module, not bits
at both ends and there is no driveshaft tunnel needed.

Luggage/cargo does not have a height restriction and cooling airflow is
simplified. FWD from a passenger car standpoint really makes a lot of
sense. Racing and motorhomes are different. Really the big breakthrough was
CV joints that last for 200,000 miles.

One surprise about modern GM FWD cars is that the engine is in front of the
transmission. From a pacgaging standpoint it would be simpler if reversed
and would help balance as well. Anyone know why the engine is all the way
in front ?  Tire height ?

Padgett