<VV> Rampy Info Search

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 14 14:24:02 EDT 2007

Mike,

I've not had an EM car so don't know how to make the comparison you ask
about.  A Rampy is a truck and is probably bouncier than a car.  Also, you
are sitting over the front wheels with your legs out in front of them - so
the bounce is a bit more pronounced.  I suppose you could go for some
adjustable shocks and set them up to suit your taste (within limits).

That said, it is not (to me anyway) an uncomfortable ride.  Maybe I've just
gotten used to it?  You sit up pretty straight, but I feel like that is a
good thing.

I've been on some fairly long trips in mine (several hundred miles).  You
cannot travel at the speeds you would in a car.  They are generally geared
lower and are more susceptible to the effects of wind.  Out on the
interstates, the bounce is minimal as the roads are smoother than around
town - like driveway entrances and such.  Mine has a 110 and I generally
keep it under 70 on the highway.  I don't know if you would have to knock 5
mph or so if equipped with an 80hp engine, but perhaps.

The pluses may outweigh the minuses for you.  Still having a Vair to drive -
and a very practical one at that.  The seat is wide enough for three and
there is a fair amount of space behind the seat for stowage of things that
you don't want exposed to weather or theft.  And it sounds as if the ramp
would be very helpful to you.  If something needs to be moved, you can put
nearly a ton in the bed with no problem - well longer stopping distance.

The interesting thing is that the general public pays at least twice as much
attention to the Rampy as to my '65 Vert.  Thumbs Up abound at nearly every
red light.

Pricewise - probably less than a turbo for similar quality.  Just takes a
while (took me 2 yrs) to find a non-rusty and non-beat up one.  Good luck in
your search.

Later, JR

CCE and CORSA member
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140
'66 beater 500 Coupe "icemobile" 4/140 (50%)