<VV> RE: installing a cam?

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sat Apr 14 17:28:36 EDT 2007

In a message dated 4/14/2007 11:20:21 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
slowboat at mindspring.com writes:

It's not  like the "tight spot" was "tight", in the normal sense
of the word, it's  that upon crank rotation I could detect a slightly
increased resistance to  rotation in one spot.

Hi Andy,
My apologies for dragging this out so long. Please understand that I mean  no
disrespect to you. This is mearly a technical discussion in my view. I
understand your experience, but let's look at the logic here.

Here's how I see this problem. Please comment. You and others have  describe
this problem as the "dreaded tight spot". As I understand  this, you could be
rotating the crankshaft by hand and encounter an increased  drag at some
point. But this increase ceases as you continue rotation. This same  increased drag
would reoccur on each rotation of the crank at the same point.  Now, here,
we're talking about slight increases in drag, not bending the crank  or
something.

If this is the case, then here's my thinking.

This must be caused by the crank, and only the crank,  or some  attachment
(eg, a gear) to the crank. Only the rotating device can cause this  intermittant
drag. If it were the crankcase, or a function of the torquing  sequence, then
something would be out of alignment. This would cause a STEADY  increased
drag. In other words this would contact the crank in a uniform manner,  pressing
on it and increasing the drag, but in a constant manner.

To me, this can only mean some out-of-round condition on the crank or a  bent
crank.
Either way, I can't see how retorquing or changing the sequence could  repair
these conditions if they exist.

Your comments?

Regards,
Bob Helt