<VV> Communique -- Paper/On-line April etc -- last word some updates

tim mahler flat6vair at insightbb.com
Mon Apr 16 18:33:30 EDT 2007

My biggest fear about making the Communique available on-line is that it
becomes a newsletter vs a Magazine.  Sending a newsletter PDF is ok,  But a
magazine is higher quality;  especially the Communique.   Reading on-line is
OK, but my eyes get tired after 14-18 hours (i work all day on a computer
than come home to more)   -- a compromise will likely be sought.  But print
is not dead, yet.  May be in 2100, but not in the next few years.

Ray said it best --basically - I want my print copy.   I agree --  Something
that is light and easy to carry -- and readable when the airlines says all
electronic devices must be turned off.  Personally,  I like to read it while
pretending to watch TV.

The board will discuss this further.   Send your director a note.   I also
suggest you bring it up at your local (non -VV) chapter meeting.   I suspect
you will get a different set of opinions then here on VV.    I have read
where some want a discount for e-communique while others are willing to pay
more.  The cost to set up magazine is the same -- regardless of the number
of printed copies,  so little discount to offer.  I would think printed copy
for all AND something electronic -- not sure what yet.  -- Send what you
think to your director.  NOT THE VV LIST.

dial-up may be dead -- but many locations have few other choices.  NJ is not
rural -- not by my definition -- And Montana is really rural.  Satelite or
dial-up is the ONLY options for many members.  Satelite is not inexpensive
yet,  and DSL does not yet extend that far.  Just made it to me and I'm
urban (realtively speaking).

Mailing -- Some clues were derived from all this VV chatter -- we are
investigating.  The Communique is mailed at one time.  Some regions get it
quickly others slow -- including me - so I have a vested interest to resolve
that issue.   First class is typically the same delivery time table as
media -- typically.  Tests were conducted to verify that.  the PO has
changed a few things -- the strip on some comminques is a new bar code for
delivery started in 2006  (one of those clues)

April edition -- ONLY 2 Articles are not serious -- didn't someone say that
was OK?   I repeat Only 2 articles are not serious and they are easily
identifiable.  Been said many times by several people including myself.

tim mahler
president  CORSA/CPF

btw:  I still maintain my own privy.   It's called a septic system.  the
metro sanitary district put in a line along 2 sides of my property, some 500
feet,  and never said a word to me not to ask if I wanted to hook up,  not
to inform me of the work,  nada and still hasn't 8 years later  .
Similarly, there will be many members who will need a printed copy for many
years to come.