<VV> Not really enjoying VV anymore? Vair technical content!

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue Apr 17 19:18:11 EDT 2007

At 11:25 AM 4/17/2007, Ken Wildman wrote:

>>Let's talk about Corvairs instead.
>

>Big thumbs up!
>Ken

Good point.    Here's to it.

Speaking of which:

I almost bought a Geo Storm this morning.    I didn't.    But almost.

The kid missed the school bus because it was EARLY so I took her to
school.    Of course she remained somewhat tentative, as regards
being seen exiting from my '60 4-door 700 as I pull up to the door at
William Byrd  high school...     status and such, bad juju to be seen
getting out of an ugly car.

On the way to work, going down a hill, approaching the light with
traffic etc I stepped on the brake pedal as I am wont to do when I
wish to stop the car and it didn't stop.   Pedal squished to the floor.

Pumppumppump, no joy, just squishes.   The back bumper of that Geo
Storm was rapidly approaching.    I pulled the e-brake handle (while
remembering the last resort of flipping it into R) and the handle
came almost ALL the way up before meeting any resistance...  but it
finally did and the driver side rear wheel locked up and *Screamed*
the whole way as the car finally stopped about 3 feet from the
Storm's rear bumper as I continued pumping the pedal, again no joy.

Of course everybody was looking...  made a pretty obvious impression,
what with the 4-door's current appearance etc.

I pulled off to the side into a lot, dealing with the e-brake handle
to stop the car.    Checked brake fluid levels, poured a BUNCH into
the master cylinder, got back in, squish to the floor again.     So,
I squished a few more times, then walked around looking for the
leak.    Found it at the right rear wheel...

??  New brake lines all over the car, recent brake job, including
wheel cylinder rebuilds.    But it was leaking at the right rear...
in fact brake fluid was all over the entire back side of the
tire.    Soaked.

I limped back to the house, making good use of the e-brake while also
noticing a scraping noise from the back.   Jacked up, pulled the tire
off, brake fluid everywhere, draining off the tire.    Pulled the
drum off after an argument with it because it acted stuck.

One shoe had no lining on it, trailing shoe, completely bald.   The
lining was crumpled up and distributed around inside the drum/backing
plate, and the wheel cylinder cup and piston to the  rear, the side
that presses the trailing shoe, had popped out of the wheel
cylinder.    One of the brake lining chunks had stuffed itself
against the bald shoe and had stuck it "open" where it was grinding
bigtime against the drum.

I pressure washed it all, rebuilt the wheel cylinder, replaced the
shoes, found a fresh drum, put it all back and all is well.    Brakes
are back to like they were before the surprise adrenaline rush this
morning.

ONCE before about 15 years ago I saw a brake shoe that had parted
company with its lining, but that was something on a car that had
been sitting a very long time, went to redo brakes and the lining
fell out of the drum when it was removed, left the bare shoe in place
etc.   Just fell out, intact and complete, looked like it would work
fine if it was just glued back on the shoe.    Never saw one do it
before... now I've seen two.

*This* lost lining on the '60 came off a shoe that was part of the
brake overhaul the car got about two years ago and it was parked for
the winter last year (well, in the Fall of 2005).      Not more than
about 9000 miles on them, tops.    Chinese brake shoes or
something...?  Or just a fluke?    Anyway, it's back together and
doing well again.

Anyone else have a shoe shed its lining?    A relatively fresh shoe
and not something 20+ years old?

tony..