<VV> compression test

Andy Clark slowboat at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 17 21:46:51 EDT 2007

John, what you're looking for is not absolute pressure readings, because
every compression gauge is going to read slightly different, and the
readings will change from day to day anyway.

What you are interested in is the spread of readings. As long as all
cylinders measure within 10% of each other (some will say 20%), you're good
to go.

Be sure take all the plugs out, so that the starter can turn the engine at a
consistent rate. Also block one carb on each bank wide open so that it does
not act as a restriction to airflow. That way you'll get the most reliable
readings. I do the test cold, because I don't like taking the plugs out of a
hot aluminum head. Oh, and remember to close the carbs afterwards so that
when you next start it, you don't grenade the engine. :-(

Andy Clark
Camano Island, WA.
1966 140/4 Monza Sedan
1966 140/4 Yenko Clone