<VV> Electric Corvair conversion

Ronald Choy ronchoy at comcast.net
Tue Apr 17 23:46:57 EDT 2007

When I still had Rusty (68 500 PG), I was fairly serious about
electric power and even belonged to the local electric car club.
Anyway the changes needed got to be more money than I wanted to
spend. First the curvy Corvair shape meant not enough space for 6
volt batteries, so the electric car place said they'd use seven 12
volt batteries. Then, they said that there wasn't much saving in
weight because the Corvair powertrain didn't weigh a lot.  And they
suggested stronger springs and disc brakes. I'd be giving up most of
the trunk. I don't remember if I got to have a back seat. At that
time, $7,000 was half the price of a new car and certainly the price
of a nicer Corvair than Rusty.  I stayed with the gasoline engine and
quit the club.   ron  65,66