<VV> Amelia Island Concourse (2007)

James Davis jld at wk.net
Thu Apr 19 10:38:04 EDT 2007

Besides the "Rare Corvair" concourse class, MB brought their 1955
300SLR #10.   This is their track, demonstration car.  To hear it rev
to 6,500 rpm with its wonderful cacophony of sounds is a once in a
lifetime experience.  The 300SLR is only race car to win the world
championship and "never to loose a race or drop out of a race due to
mechanical failure".  It is infamous because of the 1955  24 Heures
du Mans (Le Mans) accident.  Amelia Island is just a golf course
with  250 extremely rare and special automobiles decorating the
fairways.  Among then were 80 or so race cars (like the Porsche
917/930) .   For an "old car guy", it was a perfect seven hours.  I
could have easily spent a couple days there.
Jim Davis