<VV> Magazine delivery

Ken Wildman k-wildman at onu.edu
Thu Apr 19 18:59:26 EDT 2007

I am on the publication oversight committee for the Newfoundland Club of
America.  We publish a quarterly magazine of about 100 pages.

The biggest concern for subscribers is magazine delivery.  It's practically
an insurmountable problem.  Once the magazines leave the printer and enter
the postal service the publisher has absolutely no control over delivery.

Typically, first class mail has priority.  For some distribution centers or
for some local post offices that gets interpreted to mean that magazines
will only get moved forward when there is a slack time.  Complaints from
subscribers were almost always from the same or adjoining zip codes.  We
followed the same process that CORSA does, with UPC coded mailers, bagged
by zip, and palletized.  It made no difference.  There were always late
deliveries of some magazines.

The internet has made the appearance of the problem much worse.  People
find it necessary to announce the arrival of their magazine which leads
others to complain about the non-arrival.  Fingers are always pointed at
the publisher, rather than the postal service (which usually delivers 90%
in a timely manner).

We always get suggestions about first class mailing, which ignores the
horrendous increase in cost.  Or suggestions about complaining to the USPS,
as though we had never thought of that.  In fact, a significant amount of
time is expended every month in contacts with the USPS in attempting to get
the service to improve in those regions where we consistently have problems.

My advice is to just relax and wait for delivery.  If your delivery is
delayed more than two weeks then contact CORSA.

Patience, grasshoppers.   <grin>

BTW, for those agonizing about the cost of rooms in Detroit, be thankful
you are not going to the Newfoundland National in Boulder, Colorado.  Room
rates are $142 a night for a week long event in off-season.  Just another
event that can't be run from Motel 6.

Ken