<VV> Porcorvairsha

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Fri Apr 20 13:44:10 EDT 2007

At 04:55 AM 4/20/2007, John Kepler wrote:
>The 356/912 engine will blow up if you attempt to extract more hp,  its
>quality is at best like a pre 1962 VW engine
>
>As someone that ran an EP 356 in SCCA National competition in the mid-70's,
>may I respectfully and rather vehemently disagree with your statement?

I have to agree.   The 912 I have was dirt cheap because the PO had
broken the engine.   I keep seeing 912s here and there for sale,
without engines.   Seems that when the 912/356 engines self-destruct
they end up being *very* expensive to fix and lots of people balk,
lose interest, car ends up on Ebay after having sat for a decade with
an empty engine bay.

This is one of the reasons I'm not considering an original engine to
likely a Vair with Vair transaxle... sell the Porsche transaxle on
Ebay or something.

tony..