<VV> Type IV - Not my type!

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Apr 21 00:21:40 EDT 2007

In a message dated 4/20/2007 8:44:44 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
korvayrouille66 at yahoo.com writes:

GOOGLE: Raby's Air Cooled     , for  about everything on the Type IV.       I
am told that, Jake Raby, since the mid '90's is to the Type IV what Gene Berg
was to the Type I.   You can also  go to http://www.aircooledtechnology.com .
  A great article on everything IV and nearly all parts suppliers/components
basically a high performance buyers guide for IV   --- see Hot VW's July 2001
pages 54 - 57.      Raby's Aircooled Technologies is located in Cleveland GA
(north Georgia)  very close to Helen, I am told.        Tamias Metis

In the aftermarket air-cooled VW world, the Type IV has always been treated
like the retarded cousin. (apologies to the retarded among you) Nothing ever
fit like the type 1 and 2. All the manufacturers built parts for the Type IV
after all the other markets were sated. But what really marginalized the Type IV
in the VW world became the aftermarket built motor. All new parts, absolutely
no VW pieces. Different deck height, cam to crank spacing. Basically a
specially designed flat air-cooled motor was built that had many interface points
common with the VW (The type 1 motors). Over three-liter 4-cylinder motors, and
it had great durability. I actually liked the Type IV, It had much more in
common (design-wise) with the Corvair motor than any other VW motor did. Of course
I pulled a broken one out of my SuperVee to install a Corvair. But I often
was beaten by a Supercharged Type IV engined SuperVee, a National Champ. - Oh
Well! - Seth Emerson