<VV> Safeguard & Gas Mileage

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Tue Apr 24 21:18:56 EDT 2007

"... That "more advance" thing was why I was asking about SafeGuard, but
apparently no one has an experience they want to share -- odd for VV  ..."

I thought about answering, previously; but, as both vehicles using  Safeguard
technology also have modified combustion chambers, felt my comments  would
not be entirely within context.

As I've now been goaded ;>) into action, her goes:

With safeguard, and quench area (thickness, if you will) reduced to  .032,
and running 93 octane fuel, with the Greenbrier deluxe I find I can  run
16-degrees of initial advance W/O appreciable pinging and no outright knock.  I live
in sunny, hot Florida. With the 67 coupe, I'm running 18-degrees advance  with
same result. The car (haven't checked the van) gets 26 highway, and 18 city
MPG. Both vehicles are air conditioned with PG. The car also has a slightly
higher stall speed converter, and running reduced size jets (W/O checking
notes,  I'm thinking 51s). Also, I like to get where I'm going, and I'm generally
the first off a light (don't care to fly in formation... consider it a
dangerous  place to be). Read: I seldom drive to intentionally save  fuel.

Mike Mauro
Also of 64 Spyder Convertible