<VV> GM(garbage motors) 4-6-8 Caddy engine mgt system

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Thu Apr 26 10:34:15 EDT 2007

>  That old reacquired V-6   from the '75 model to today is responsible for
> much of GM's good points along with the old faithful Chev small
> block,  still its a pity  the fine powerplants engineered by the other
> divisions were totally abandoned.

Don't forget that the original concept of the "odd-fire" V-6 was that is
was a 90 degree design that allowed it to be assembled on the same line as
the Buick V-8. This also allowed a "jump start" in 1975 while the
2.8/3.1/3.4 Chevrolet 6- degree V-6 was being developed. However it really
was not a very good small car engine but came into its own  for
medium-large vehicles particularly when boosted. The 90 degree design
allowed a very low hood. OTOH it had to be since for GM FWD, the engine is
in front of the axle.

However the 3800 (really my favorite engine) has reached the end of its
design life (particularly since it is an iron engine) and is now being
phased out.

For some reason, GM tends to develop innovations too early then abandon
just as they are perfected. The 4-6-8 was not a bad idea but really needed
port fuel injection, an effective means to reduce pumping losses, and
really fast response to changing conditions. This required modern computer
controls that were not available at the time.

Padgett