<VV> Re: GM cars - a different view

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Fri Apr 27 10:05:51 EDT 2007

My cars are all GM and have been since I sold the FIAT 124 Spyder. Two
reasons mostly:
1) I have not run out of interesting GM cars (and have my eye on a Vixen
with a 3800)
2) My tools and spares are all GM

Hasn't always been that way, in my yout I wanted a TR-3 and wound up
infested with Jaguars (and was taught the need for maintenance) or easy (I
live in Ford country) but has been for about thutty yar now.

Quality has never been an issue (and have had several Vegas and an Astre).
Minor things I just fix. Have had a major engine failure that was not my
fault when a 3800 in a 90 Bonneville we had since new dropped the center
cam bearings and would not go over 19 psi oil pressure. Apparently no
particular reason but have heard of a number of 90's that did the same
thing. Dealer said was the gauge so drove home, 1,000 miles, never missed a
beat. Realy a good thing as I was not equipped to replace an engine in
Indiana (and the 3800 is considered bulletproof).

The only reason I sell a car is if it no longer fits what I want or
overlaps something else (my belief is in cars for a purpose - no
duplication needed, I can only drive one at a time). This is why my Monza
'vert is for sale now that I finally got it "right" (
http://cfcorvairs.us/vairsale ) - found I have more desire to autocross
than be in parades (PG is great for 3 mph).

Real point of all of this is that I have never found a car that could not
be reliable. Take that Toyota sludge issue: turns out that was five years
ago and was about 3,000 cars in a period when Toyota sold over a million
.3%. An under 1% failure rate is typical for a car to be labeled as
"unreliable" which really says something about what we expect.

Padgett