<VV> Modern Engine for Corvair Options?

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Apr 30 01:35:15 EDT 2007

In a message dated 4/29/2007 10:02:40 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
matthew_j_lewis at yahoo.com writes:

I have a  1965 Corsa Convertible and the engine needs
alot of work and wanted to know  what options may exist
for a modern engine/transmission setup. I don't  want
to rip  out the back seat or anything drastic. Just
looking  for a more modern engine/transmission that
will go in the existing space  without too much  custom
work.

Thanks,

--Matt

Hi Matt. Let me fill you in a little - I am sure others will send their
comments along as well. I understand the quandry you feel you are in. The  Corvair
motor was unique in a number of ways, besides it's rear location and air
cooling. Looking at it from the end of the crankshaft oposite the end with the
clutch/flywheel on it, the engine rotates in the direction opposite of almost
every other motor ever built There was some SAAB V4 in the 70's and Honda
4-cylinders up until about 1999 or so. And thats about it. Everything else goes
the other way. There have been a few kits over the years that allow some
automotive engines to be "reverse-rotated" most of these were for Marine use -
Twin-engined cabin cruisers needed counter-rotating propellers to go straight in
 the water, So Chevy supplied several motors with LH or RH rotation. And
there  was a kit to reverse the Buick/Olds aluminum V8 and put it in the rear. But
 adapting these motors to the Vair is a real job, and not  cheap.   All of
the above assumes use of a Corvair transaxle. If  you want to spend real money,
you can use the complete drive train from  something else, like a 911 Porsche.
There are probably a few others. And all but  a Porsche requires adding water
cooling. But otherwise, it means plopping  something into the back seat, not
what you are looking for. Unless you want a  Corvair motor that contains
almost all new parts, hard to find today, you  will spend less on the Corvair
rebuild - a lot less. Of course, you are hearing  this from a guy who is reverse
rotating a 4.3L V6 Chevy motor to (someday)  install it in the rear of a
Corvair. I have the right motor, I just haven't  found the right car yet! - Seth
Emerson