<VV> Re: Dwelling on dwell....

jwcorvair at aol.com jwcorvair at aol.com
Mon Apr 30 08:32:53 EDT 2007

I really don't disagree with Bill on setting points. I have set the points on my 62 sedan both ways. When I have set it by dwell, the gap is as low as .013. When I have set the gap at .016, the dwell is 28. My car seems to run fine both ways, but I am a bit more comfortable with the gap set at .016. As Bill suggested, something is probably worn. Most likely the points plate is loose. I recall that the Tech Guide has some information on correcting worn points plates. You might also start with one of our vendors to find a new Dale replacement points plate. You might also consider going to a Pertronix, which comes with a new "points" plate. If you decide on using a Pertronix, keep your old points plate in your glove box in case the Pertronix dies on you. (This has happened to me on two occasions, which is why I am using points again.)

Joe White (62 sedan, 66 Porvair)
CORSA, RMC