<VV> Modern Engine for Corvair Options?

corvair at mts.net corvair at mts.net
Mon Apr 30 11:45:54 EDT 2007

The Olds Toronado (60's FWD) drivetrain will go in the rear of a late Corvair without losing the rear seat, but I wouldn't call it "not much work".

455 CI anyone?

http://www.mts.net/~lhonke/pbruce.htm

Les
=======

Message: 6
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 07:55:06 -0400
From: Frank DuVal <corvairduval at cox.net>
Subject: Re: <VV> Modern Engine for Corvair Options?
To: Matthew Lewis <matthew_j_lewis at yahoo.com>
Cc: virtualvairs at corvair.org

I guess it depends on what is "too much custom work". All the "modern"
v-8 conversions have taken the rear seat space. Some even take part of
the front seat area. There have been conversions using the little 215 cu
in Buick engine, but that is an early 60's engine, not modern. Ok, there
have also been front engine conversions, well actually just Corvair
bodied rear wheel/ front engine cars, but I don't consider them
Corvaairs, as they have lost all handling characteristics of a Corvair.
ANd I think that falls under "too much custom work".

You will be dollars ahead to fix the Corvair engine instead of putting
another style used engine in. Check our vendors for parts prices for a
rebuild. These are easy engines to work on.

Frank DuVal