<VV> RE:Mirror Search

Bill Hubbell whubbell at umich.edu
Mon Apr 30 19:37:46 EDT 2007

Gads, I am old enough to remember when even left-sided mirrors were
optional!  There used to be a time when you could go down to the local FLAPS
and buy a mirror to stick on the driver's side because the cars didn't come
from the factory with one.

Anyway, I actually like not having a RH mirror on my Corvairs.  It forces me
to actually turn my head and look before merging or turning right and that
feels safer than relying on a mirror with a blind spot - especially those
goofy convex RH mirrors which make everything seem smaller and further away.

(Although I must admit those mirrors gave rise to one of the best movie
sight gags ever in "Jurassic Park"!)

Bill Hubbell

p.s. - nothing beats the visibility of driving an Early Model convertible
with the top down - no blind spots!