<VV> Windshield install in Rampside

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Apr 30 23:38:38 EDT 2007

"easy as pie" is how I think of windshields and other glass installed
with the gasket method.

BUT!!!  Any Windshield is a laminated assembly, and can crack without
notice.

String (poly rope) about 1/8 inch diameter is good. Lots of lube, I use
the pink mechanics soap. Dishwashing detergent will do. The stainless
trim needs to be installed in the gasket first. A helper is usually a must.

Sealant? Oh yes, lots of it. try this:

http://www.crestauto.com/products/Crest%20Mich%20E-Cat%20v1.5/HTMLCAT/Catalog51.htm

Look at the Liquid Rubber sealant at the bottom of the page.

Here is a quote from another answer I did a while back:

Delicate? Any work with a windshield can lead to cracks. No way to
guarentee applying ANY force to a windshield and not have it crack.
Trying to remove butyl tape windshields to me is MORE apt to crack than
the rubber gasket type like early model Corvair. No glass shop will
guarentee not breaking the windshield in my experience.

To remove a rubber gasket windshield with the most sucess of removing
it, cut the gasket along the pinchweld. This is the lip inside the car.
Of course the gasket is ruined.

To remove both the gasket and windshield, get a spray bottle and fill it
with soapy water. Get a tool from a K-D supplier like this:
http://www.kd-tools.com/2037.htm

Also get some plastic windshield tools like:
http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog.cgi?function=goto&catalog=MAIN&section=MAIN&page=207
<http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog.cgi?function=goto&catalog=MAIN&section=MAIN&page=207>

C3747 top of page.

Working outside the car, lift the edge of the gasket with the round tip
of the tool and spray soapy water inside. Go all around the gasket.
The stainless trim will remain in the gasket!
Working inside the car, again pull the gasket lip open and spray soapy
water inside. Now use the plastic tool to hold open a piece of the
gasket and use the round tip tool to lift and place the lip of the
gasket on the other side of the pinchweld. Go all around the gasket
until all of the lip is on the other side of the pinchweld than when you
started.

You may now gently push out the windshield assembly. If any part sticks,
investigate, do not push harder. More spray soap and running around the
inside and outside with the round tool.

To install, you need strong small rope. I like nylon rope about 1/8 to
3/16" diameter. Lay the windshield assembly on a flat surface. Glass
shops use a  "sawhorse" looking stand.

http://www.toolsource.com/ost/product.asp?sourceid=googlelisle&dept%5Fid=500&pf%5Fid=76834&mscssid=LXFSLHC5745E9GR6TKCS3BKG0D500439
<http://www.toolsource.com/ost/product.asp?sourceid=googlelisle&dept%5Fid=500&pf%5Fid=76834&mscssid=LXFSLHC5745E9GR6TKCS3BKG0D500439>

Apply liquid soap to the string. I use the pink stuff sold as mechanics
soap without pumice, orange bits, etc. The slicker the better. Starting
at the center bottom ( or center top, or wherever when you get
experience), leave a foot of string dangling and using the round tip
tool place the string in the pinchweld groove of the gasket. GO al the
way around the gasket, overlapping several inches.

Pick up windshield assembly and place in opening in car with string ends
inside of car. While applying slight pressure (remember they crack
easy), pull the string to gently pull the gasket lip back over the
pinchweld. Be careful, as the string can also act as a gasket
cutter!!!!!! You may find you need the slight pressure on the opposite
side of the windshield than where you are pulling the string to keep the
glass from popping out on the other edge.

Once the windshield assembly is in place, you can pump sealer in like:

http://www.crestauto.com/products/Crest%20Mich%20E-Cat%20v1.5/Michigan%20Master%20Acro-Cat%20v1.5.pdf

Page 51, Liquid Rubber

You might want to wash out the soap first!

The windshield assemby mentioned above consistes of the windshield with
gasket attached and the stainless trim installed if used on your model.
The 95 series uses a locking rubber strip that is installed in the
gasket after the glass/gasket is installed, like 1973 to 1979 Chevy pick
ups.

Good luck!

After all this you may go for professional help....

Frank DuVal