<VV> Vacuum valve modulator leak check

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 1 01:18:18 EDT 2007

	I must be sleep walking.  Keeping up with a two year old most of the
day will do that to you.  I just realized how inane my last post
was.  No wonder I was confused by the table on p. 7-55 as it deals
with the throttle valve pressure tests.
	I planned to do a vacuum modulator valve vacuum test.  I'm assuming
that there is a leak in the connections of the line (if indeed this
is the problem area) at this point as the modulator is new and the
hose connections are, too.  In the manual on p. 7-34 it states, "The
vacuum modulator can be checked with a vacuum source for leakage.
However, leakage normally results in transmission oil pull-over and
results in oil smokey exhaust and continually low transmission oil.
No vacuum modulator repairs are possible; replace as an assembly
unit."  I am not experiencing smoky exhaust, and the only
transmission fluid loss that I'm experiencing is a faultily installed
gasket (my learning experience) which has slow leaks on two of the
bolts.   The new gaskets (ordered two) are on their way.   That
checking description works for a mechanic, but not for a teacher.  I
need a little better description of where to connect the Mytivac,
what procedure on the shifter (L,D,N) to use, and what vacuum
readings I should be seeing in those three positions if everything is
normal.

Hope that makes better sense.

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
Corvaireum //

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza Hardtop 110