<VV> Electric cooling fan results

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed Aug 1 17:55:17 EDT 2007

At 04:48 PM 7/31/2007, you wrote:
>In a message dated 7/31/2007 6:25:47 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
>tonyu at roava.net writes:
> >Look at the curves, it's only slightly better. The 911 fan is WAY better.
>How much IS "way better"?  This is why I'd liked to see some serious
>comparisons in real world environments.
> make one hell of a lot more power... Howzat?

OK... I've seen a Porsche engine with its clothes off.   The
available cooling fin area is MUCH higher than a 'Vair engine which
obviously makes it a LOT easier to cool.   Now:

Let's talk about those fans and NOT the design of the engine which in
Porsche's instance was dedicated to performance and thus cooling from
the beginning, while the Corvair engine was designed to deliver
groceries at 40 mph.

>Hell, I still tend to consider that the cooling fan that went on Fiat
>850s looks enough like the Porsche fan to consider adapting it to the
>Corvair shroud.   Depending on year, it came in both flavors,
>aluminum and plastic.
> cooled engine's needs. Air cooled engines have less air flow, at
> MUCH higher static pressure than a radiator.

I understand all that.   C'mon...

I'm talking about FANS.   Have you ever looked at a Fiat 850
fan?   It ain't half bad and it's not all that dissimilar than the
911 fan.   The Fiat also has NO external forced air through its
radiator as well, which by the way is rather small even for a small
displacement engine.   It *does* have a well thought out shroud
around the fan to take advantage of everything it throws at the radiator.

The point here is to improve on what the General cooked up using
stuff that's available today, from more modern sources.

>Speaking of which:   Why hasn't this come up?   If somebody really
>wanted to experiment, they could mount scoops on the fenders (ala
>Ferrari?  ;) ) and duct air to the inlet of the shroud via a
>fabricated plenum.   Combined with the alternator driven electric fan
>that so many people seem interested, it could be the difference
>between the electric fan system actually working and not working at
>highway speeds.
> match it to the static pressure requirements of a Corvair engine.
> Then you'll understand why Porsche never did this trick.

They didn't have to, at least on their street air-cooled
cars...  Their engine was easier to cool as-is by design and the fan
cooled it well enough that they didn't *have* to add cost and
complexity of ducting forced air to the engine.   The Porsche fan is
also larger than a 'Vair fan so they didn't then incorporate forced air...

Not so anymore, though.   As you know, some late vintage Porsches
have scoops in the rear fenders.   Porsche has themselves stated that
this is a forced-air cooling duct which does enhance engine
cooling.   I know, different designed engine etc.    But I digress...

As regards the enhancement of electric cooling with forced-air:

You missed my intent.

The electric fan as outlined by Parker/Hand/Helt came fairly close to
being adequate for *some* driving conditions and this is with
hardware that wasn't exactly designed to cool a Corvair engine in the
first place.   The fact that the adapted hardware in fact did come
fairly close in some driving conditions says something.   I didn't
expect it to be anywhere near adequate for ANY driving conditions,
perhaps maybe cooling an idling engine but not while actually driving
the car.   I was surprised with their results.

However, in highway driving, it failed outright.   Now:   If you were
more careful about picking an efficient fan and motor combo and
supplemented the electric fan with forced-air ducted into the shroud
(from whatever source you could pick from, be it scoops on the sides
or where ever) would it not be possible to make this actually work at
highway speeds?    While we're at it, we could remove the lower
shrouds, or abbreviate them to eliminate any restrictions to air flow
and perhaps even incorporate headers on the engine so as to duct hot
exhaust out and away from the heads so we wouldn't have hot iron
manifolds radiating back under the heads.   That alone will
*Certainly* help cooling, especially with limited flow through the
top shroud.

There's more to all this than is evident.   More can be done if
someone were to exploit some additional tricks.   Unfortunately some
of them may include cutting the fenders to incorporate scoops,
something many people won't indulge.

I understand from the start that it's not practical to bolt on an
electric fan using available affordable tech and make it work.  I'm
not a moron.   But with additional tricks and some ingenuity, what
P-H-H did could be improved upon especially with some help via
forced-air supplement.   Just thought I'd ask...  and since this was
a two-fold inquiry:

Now what about the belt driven fans?   If you used the Porsche fan in
place of the 'Vair mag fan, in your opinion would the engine cool
better?   (pitch notwithstanding)    Or is the 'Vair engine design
(limited fin area) hitting diminishing returns as-is?

tony..